Click on the name of the photographer below the image to see more Johannesburg goodness.
Image by fmgbain
We went to the Wimpy at OTIA for breakfast where we had cappuccino and waffles. In the foreground it is the Launch Edition Gautrain Gold Card
Johannesburg Manufacturing Company Store, Johannesburg, Otsego
Image by MI SHPO
The Johannesburg Manufacturing Company Store is located in Johannesburg, Michigan, a rural community east of Gaylord, in the eastern central area of Otsego County. Johannesburg is situated south of the headwaters of the Au Sable, Black, Manistee, Pigeon and Sturgeon Rivers, between Gaylord to the west and Alpena and Atlanta to the east. The town is located on Michigan State Road M-32 E, originally known as Grants Pass and also known as Meridian Road, and constructed in 1920. The Johannesburg Manufacturing Company Store is located in the central, downtown area of Johannesburg, and is the oldest building in the community, built in 1901.
It was near the end of the great Michigan lumber era in the Lower Peninsula when lumber companies and railroad companies partnered in acquiring land and developing vast portions Michigan’s dense woodland interior–the last frountier for Michigan lumbermen. The lands located between the Manistee river to the west and the Ausable river to the east were rich in both pine and hardwood. Rasmus Hanson served on the board of directors for the Michigan Central Railroad and the New York Central Railroad Companies. His associations with the railroad contributed to the establishment of transportation routes and railroad spurs throughout northern Michigan allowing commerce and passengers access to remote undeveloped areas. Expanding railways into the interior of Michigan became the lifeline for four lumber villages and many camps founded by Salling, Hanson & Company and the firm’s partners, lumbermen Ernest salling, Rasmus Hanson, and Nels Michelson. The villages were Grayling, Salling, Lewiston and Johannesburg. Johannesburg was the last to be developed. By the time it was incorporated in 1901, the three founders had worked themselves up from young Danish imigrants searching for the American dream to joining ranks with the wealthiest men in the state. Their Johannesburg Manufacturing Company built Johannesburg as a sawmill and company town. The company’s administrative offices were located in the company store building. In the company’s more than twenty-seven years of business, the mill cut over 300,000,000 board feet of lumber and supported up to 200 employees and their families.