A very successful 2017 Gauteng Getaway Show, in association with Mahindra, was held at the TicketPro Dome in Johannesburg over the Heritage Day Weekend. Nearly 20 000 people were enthralled with the great mix of outdoor-, travel- and adventure-related products and activities on offer.
Here is a summary of the fun events of the weekend, to inspire you to put next year’s Cape Getaway Show or the Gauteng Getaway Show on your bucket list:
1.The sheer range of things to see and do can be overwhelming, but the crowds did not seem to struggle to find which activities suited them best, as there is something for everyone.
2. People found inspiration for their perfect holiday, and information about some of the fantastic destinations we have in Southern Africa. A few select international destinations featured, with Indonesian dancers giving visitors a taste for what is on offer in the Indonesian Islands.
3. Games, competitions and giveaways kept people of all ages on their toes, and children and adults alike enjoyed activities like the climbing wall, the mechanical bull and lazer shooting in the Adventure Zone, sponsored by Toyota.
4. There was also lots to learn, such as at the African Snake Bite Awareness stand, where up-close and personal encounters with snakes and scorpians explained the risks and gave tips about how to handle encounters with a wide range of creatures.
5. Also popular with children and adults alike was taking an exhilirating ride in the monster truck!
6. The Volley ball was a hit, both with spectators watching display matches and members of the public taking their turn to show their skills.
7. Plenty of live entertainment meant that people could relax and enjoy the atmosphere while building up their energy with tasty food and drink options, in order to start another round of walking about and finding more to do and see.
8. The very popular photography workshops were sold out, with top tips for wildlife and landscape photography being shared with enthusiasts.
9. Then there was the Getaway Braai Off, judged by Dirk & Alti from the TV show Vrydag4uur. Prizes were sponsored by Outdoor Warehouse, Charka and Food Lover’s Market, and the winner of the Potjie Competition, Graham Wallace, walked away with the big prize of a weekend break and game drive for eight people at Mabalingwe Nature Reserve, with second prize going to Andor Townsend. The Gourmet Boerie competition was won by Quentin van Zyl, with second and third prizes going to Allen Ridley and Brian Maxted.
10. Amongst many other prizes awarded over the weekend, the grand prize of accommodation for 5 nights at Ibo Island Lodge in Mozambique, was won by Linda van As.
So, mark your calendar for the 6-8 April 2018 for the Cape Getaway Show – the Gauteng Getaway Show dates are yet to be announced. Make sure you don’t miss out, as next year is set to be bigger and better yet again.